The F11F Tiger was first conceived in 1952 as the result of a design effort to create a low-drag, supersonic aircraft based on the Area Rule, which resulted in the Tiger’s distinctive, wasp-waisted fuselage and thin wings. The project was designated G-98 and ultimately resulted in the F11F-1 Tiger, a transitional aircraft with impeccable handling and good looks. However, good looks were not enough and the Tiger was supplanted by the F8U Crusader, however not before the plane came to the attention of the Blue Angels demonstration team.
The Tiger was so reliable, photogenic, and aerobatically capable that it served with the Blue Angels for a decade, long after the aircraft was retired from active duty with the Navy. The F11F-1 is a sleek, elegant, and truly beautiful example of Cold War transonic jet technology. The Grumman Tiger’s excellent overall quality and stage presence earned it an enduring place in aviation history.
The F11F is a pleasure to fly in FSX: Steam Edition. Immerse yourself in the aircraft’s proud history by flying in formation with your friends in multiplayer. Alternatively, test the boundaries of this Cold War era aircraft by manoeuvring through the air at supersonic speeds.
- Standard and long-range versions included
- Simulated F11F sound set
- Virtual cockpit with animations and clickable controls
- 2D panel, custom pop-ups for autopilot and radios, all fully clickable
- Automatic (on throttle) animated afterburner visual effect with corresponding performance boost
- Automatic smoke trail, wing surface vapour flash and wingtip vortices effects
- Animated wing-fold, tail hook, speed brakes, and pilot figure
- Animated canopy (shift-e)
- Authentic flight model with illustrated checklist
- Animated crew figure
The F-5E Tiger II (main image) is an improved version of the original F-5 Freedom Fighter that entered service with the US Military in the early 1960s. It is a lightweight, supersonic fighter-bomber with great agility and load-carrying capability. Over 1400 examples of this type were built between 1972 and 1987, and the type has seen widespread service in the Air Forces of many nations, some of which still operate the type today. Additionally the US Navy still operates the type as an aggressor fighter at its Naval Fighter Weapons Schools.
The FSX: Steam Edition version of the F-5E is beautifully and authentically modelled, perfect for soaring through the virtual skies at supersonic speeds. Six variants include different true to life weapon systems and custom effects & animations. Use the F-5E to re-enact your favorite Cold War moments or tour the many Naval airfields included in FSX: Steam Edition.
- The following versions are included:
- Strike, 4x Mk.83
- Strike, 2x GBU12 Paveway
- Long range
- Post mission
- Export version
- Authentic, self-shadowing virtual cockpit with animations and clickable controls
- Detailed and authentic weapons loadouts
- Authentic, fully clickable 2D panel, hi-res glazed-effect gauges, custom pop-ups for ECU, autopilot, warning panel, and radios
- Detailed checklist and accurate flight model
- Custom effects for turbine glow (3-stage), smoke (start-up & in-flight), wingtip & flap contrails and wing surface vapour ‘flash’
- High quality sound set
- Realistic pilot figure
- Animated canopy, tailhook, and spoilers