Grumman Gulfhawk II Add-On
£8.79 ($11.992, €11.99)
Was: £10.99 ($14.99, €14.99)Purchase Now From Steam
In the 1930s the Grumman Aircraft Company was looking for ways to promote its new line of fast biplane fighter-bombers, so in 1936 an F3F-1 was equipped with a 1,000-horsepower Wright Cyclone engine and specially modified for high-stress manoeuvring and aerobatics.
The standard F3F-1 of the period had a two-blade propeller but the new aircraft was fitted with a three-blade Hamilton Standard propeller of 9ft. diameter. With this power plant on board the aircraft could achieve speeds of close to 300 MPH and could climb at 2,000 feet per minute – impressive performance for 1936!
Delivered to the Gulf Oil Company, the aeroplane was flown extensively by Major Al Williams, Gulf’s chief test pilot, to demonstrate the new techniques employed in tactical dive-bombing. Dubbed ‘Gulfhawk II’, the aircraft and its pilot toured the USA and Europe demonstrating high-speed aerobatics and precision flying.
In 1943 Major Williams was asked by General Henry H. ‘Hap’ Arnold to undertake a three-month tour of US airfields to demonstrate airmanship and precision flying. The aircraft made its last demonstration flight in 1948 before being retired to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC, where the brightly painted orange machine still hangs as a lasting reminder of those barnstorming days.
The Just Flight version of the Grumman Gulfhawk II for FSX Steam Edition features a beautiful hi-fidelity model down to the fine details. With a realistic sound pack and various animations, the Gulfhawk is a must-have addition for your add-on collection!
- Hi-fidelity model with superb detail including modelled rivets and overlapping panels
- Beautifully detailed nine-cyclinder Wright Cyclone engine
- Stereo sound pack includes the ‘stutter start’ of the big Cyclone radial
- Unique animations include vibrating exhausts and gear retraction
- Authentic animated VC
- Accurate flight dynamics
- Fully detailed and animated cockpit in exterior model
- Cockpit sounds such as switches, knobs and levers
- ‘Sunsplinter’ effects on Perspex
- In-game options – configuration panel allows for seat height adjustment and view angles in the VC and the removal of the pilot when on the ground
- Choice of electric or cartridge starts