Northrop F-89 Scorpion Add-On
£9.99 ($12.99, €12.99)Purchase Now From Steam
The classic Cold War design of the F-89 Scorpion was the product of a 1945 USAAF specification for a night fighter. The aircraft was to have a crew of two with an offensive armament of six 20mm cannon. The prototype was first flown on August 16, 1948 by test pilot Fred C. Bretcher. The first major production model was the F-89D, which swapped the cannon for a phalanx of 104 missiles. The final version was the F-89J, which carried two Genie nuclear-tipped missiles along with four Falcon air-to-air missiles tipped with high explosives.
Both the D and J versions used highly advanced Hughes fire control systems coupled with radar and computers. Although the Scorpion appears quaint and dated now, these were highly advanced aircraft for their time.
The FSX: Steam Edition version of the F-89 Scorpion, developed by Virtavia, is an accurate representation of this Cold War bird. This pack includes three variations, each with its own unique flight model. The F-89 also includes a realistic soundset, various animations complete with afterburner effects, and a complete fuel management and instrument navigation package.
- 3 variations, each with its own unique engine, weight and fuel configuration and the performance differences between aircraft are accurately reflected.
- Fuel management and instrument navigation package
- Unique Scorpion “Flight Computer” gauge custom made for this add-on.
- Detailed checklist and performance that precisely matches that of the real aircraft, with procedures and performance figures taken directly from the actual flight manual for the F-89 Scorpion
- Custom effects for afterburner flames (3-stage), smoke (start-up & in-flight), wingtip and flap contrails and wing surface vapour ‘flash’
- Simulated F-89 soundset included
- Authentic virtual cockpit with animations and mousable controls and realistic glass reflection effect on gauges
- Authentic all-xml 2D panel, custom pop-ups for autopilot and radios, fully mousable
- Automatic (on throttle) animated afterburner visual effect with corresponding performance boost, and automatic smoke trail, wing surface vapour flash and wingtip vortices effects
- Animated landing light, speedbrakes (authentic F-89 ‘decelerons’) and canopy as well as togglable realistic pilot figures